There is no job more important than being a parent...this I believe. Check out this piece written by a man who says he owes everything he is to his mother. It is a beautiful story of values and teaching and a reminder of how our jobs as parents are the most critical ones we will ever have. Not just for our own kids, but for the world.
It's not Mother's Day or Father's Day, but EVERYDAY is the right day to feel a sense of accomplishment and joy about our big jobs. Here are some of the reasons why I feel like I have played an important role with my 12 and 14 year old boys:
- Neither of them has a drug or alcohol problem (yet). I say "yet" because I know that they are still young. I feel like they have a good start in being able to deal with those kinds of issues. My 14 year old has been in at least one situation where he could have taken a shot of tequilla, and didn't. I know this because one of the other boys who did, told me about it. I also feel a sense of accomplishment that one of the other boys felt like he could talk to me about it.
- Both of my kids know how to do their own laundry and they can both scramble a mean egg.
- A parent (one who has known my 14 year old since he was 5) approached me specifically to tell me what a gentleman he thought my son was. He said that my son was one of the most kind and good-natured kids he knows (and we know a lot of really GREAT kids).
- My 12 year old loves kids and has a very nuturing way about him. He enjoys being with his younger cousins and generally doesn't view hanging out with the younger kids in the family a drag. He loves to hold babies and is interested their development.
- They both still give me un-provoked hugs in front of their friends.
- Their friends sometimes give me hugs, too.
- They love and value their grandparents and aunts and uncles as evidenced by their choices to be around the house when the family visits rather than being with their friends (most of the time).
- While they are both very much into modern and old-school rap, they also love John Lennon, Van Halen, The Eagles, Luther Vandross, Led Zeppelin, Janet Jackson and Jimi Hendrix.
- Neither of them can even IMAGINE being LA Dodger Fans.
Ok, so that last one was just for fun (but it is also true).